Saturn continued its product revitalization with the 2007 Sky Red Line performance roadster, which debuted at the 2006 New York International Auto Show. The Red Line builds on the Skys established performance character, offering even more power and sportier driving dynamics combined with a bold design and driver-focused interior.
The Red Line gets a boost in performance from an Ecotec turbocharged 2.0-liter engine, GMs first direct injection offering in North America. It produces 260 horsepower at 5300 rpm and 260 lb.-ft. of torque at 2500 rpm, making it GMs highest specific output engine ever at 2.1 horsepower per cubic inch of displacement (130 hp per liter) and the most powerful engine in the Ecotec family.
Gasoline direct injection technology helps the Ecotec engine produce more power while maintaining the lower fuel consumption of a small displacement port-injected engine.
With direct injection, fuel is delivered directly to the combustion chamber to create a more complete burn of the air/fuel mixture. Less fuel is required to produce the equivalent horsepower, especially at normal cruising speeds, of a conventional port-injection combustion system.
Direct injection technology works well with turbocharging and helps deliver a great balance of power and economy.
Other Red Line technical highlights include:
- Standard torque-sensing limited-slip differential
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control
- Performance-tuned suspension
Technical elements also standard on the 2007 Sky roadster include:
- Four-wheel independent short/long arm suspension for optimal handling and stability
- Coil-over Bilstein monotube shocks for excellent wheel control and road isolation
- Hydraulically assisted rack-and-pinion power steering for quick, responsive vehicle control
- Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS for excellent stopping performance
- Wide track for excellent stability and superior handling
- Near 50/50 weight distribution for balanced handling
- Structural tunnel design and hydroformed longitudinal frame rails for a stiff body that results in greater vehicle responsiveness and better overall feel
- The Red Line also features several unique interior and exterior differences compared to the Sky roadster, including dual exhaust with chrome polished outlets, 18-inch polished aluminum alloy wheels, and specific front lower fascia with large brake cooling vents and black headlamp bezels.
The interior features a leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls, unique seatback and floormat embroidery, metallic sill plates, stainless steel pedal covers, Red Line-specific gauges and a digital boost gauge included in the Driver Information Center.
The Sky Red Line has numerous safety features, including dual-stage frontal air bags, GMs Passenger Sensing System, four-wheel disc brakes with standard ABS, side-impact door beams, three-point safety belts with pretentioners and load-limiting retractors, and more.