The Sky roadster was inspired by the Vauxhall VX Lightning Concept - created at GM's Advanced Design Studio in Birmingham , England - signaling the adoption of an international design language for Saturn.
"The Sky's exterior conveys a sense of technical harmony, combining taut, controlled lines with fluid surfaces to create a dynamic feeling," said Ed Welburn, vice president of Design for GM North America . "The vehicle's strong front end is the new face of Saturn, with a pronounced fender peak and a bold, chrome bar that carries an integrated Saturn badge."
The Sky's design also features a wide stance with short overhangs and 18-inch wheels pushed to the corners. The convertible top folds completely into the rear compartment and the clamshell hood provides excellent accessibility and reinforces the sports car aura. Projector halogen low beams and reflector optic halogen high beam headlamps extend the exterior's sophisticated look.
The design philosophy is carried through to the interior, which is driver-focused with integrated controls and displays. Creative use of piano black and chrome finishes combine with available leather seats and technical grains to emphasize richness and precision. Jewel-like detailing on the HVAC and lighting controls is executed with tight fits, highlighting the attention to detail. Roadster performance
The Sky also has the hardware to back up its bold styling. It is equipped with a 2.4L, 170-horsepower Ecotec engine with variable valve timing and a five-speed Aisin manual transmission with a short throw shifter. A five-speed automatic will be optional.
"The Sky's performance matches its impressive styling," said Lori Queen, vehicle line executive for GM's small cars. "Powertrain, suspension and handling components were carefully selected to provide quick and agile performance."
Other technical highlights include: Four-wheel independent short/long arm suspension for optimal handling and stability.
- Coil-over Bilstein monotube shocks for excellent wheel control and road isolation
- Hydraulically assisted rack- and-pinion power steering for quick, responsive vehicle control
- Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS for excellent stopping performance
- Wide track width for excellent stability and superior handling
- Near 50/50 weight distribution for balanced handling feel
- Structural tunnel design and hydroformed longitudinal rails for a stiff body that results in greater vehicle responsiveness and better overall feel
- Hydraulic engine mounts for a smoother engine feel