Ford's 2001 Mustang Bullitt GT, a performance derivative inspired by the legendary 1968 Mustang Fastback driven by the late Steve McQueen - San Francisco police detective Frank Bullitt in the film - lept from concept to production in 2001.
The decision to put the Bullitt into production came after Ford received overwhelming positive response from consumers who saw a concept version of the car at the 2000 Los Angeles Auto Show. The car made its Canadian debut at the Montreal Auto Show, January 24th. Many of the 2001 Bullitt Mustang's styling cues are based on the original car featured in one of cinema history's most memorable car chases - the detective in hot pursuit of bad guys through the challenging streets of San Francisco.
s"With the Bullitt concept, we have visually and emotionally recreated the excitement of one of the greatest movie car chase scenes," says J Mays, Ford Motor Company vice president of Design. "Still as popular today as it was when it was introduced in 1964, the Mustang and the Bullitt concept show the possibilities for customizing this car and keeping the excitement alive as ever."
The Bullitt is a 2001 Mustang GT, modified to visually and emotionally connect to the tough film-hero's ride-of-choice. Modifications include:
- Unique side scoops, 17-inch Bullitt-style aluminum wheels and a lowered suspension
- The C-pillars and quarter panel moulding are modified to create a unique look
- Rocker panel mouldings enhance the car's ground-hugging appearance and a bold, brushed aluminum fuel filler door is prominentaly placed on the quarter panel.
- Bullitt badging and polished rolled tailpipe tips complete the picture for the car, which is available in Dark Highland Green, True Blue and Black.
- The heart of Bullitt GT is a 4.6L SOHC V8 - modified to improve airflow - producing slightly more horsepower and significantly more torque than the Mustang GT engine. Modifications include twin 57 mm bore throttle body; cast aluminum intake manifold, high flow mufflers for increased power and aggressive sound and optimized alternator and pump pulley ratios.
Bullitt's suspension delivers crisp road manners. The vehicle is lowered 1.9 cm (.75 in) to generate firmer, better-balanced ride and improved handling characteristics. The performance-handling package also includes re-valved Tokico struts and shocks; unique stabilizer bars (front and rear) and frame rail connectors. Thirteen-inch Brembo front rotors and performance callipers provide excellent stopping capability.
Inside, Mustang Bullitt comes with performance bucket seats with Dark Charcoal leather trim. The Bullitt also includes a brushed aluminum shifter ball, shifter bezel and door sill plates with Bullitt nomenclature. Aluminum pedal covers accent the interior's performance appearance. The instrument cluster is a modern interpretation of 1960s design offering a unique curved numeric speedometer graphics and a white-lit background.